SAN MARTIN DE LOS ANDES
SERVICES AT CHAPELCO
Chapelco Ski School: This school has around 80 instructors, a number that increases in high season. The staff is trained to teach Alpine as well as back-country skiing, adventure skiing, hang-gliding, snowboarding and traverse skiing. Lessons in Alpine and back-country skiing and snowboarding at this prestigious school can be taken individually or in groups, depending on the preferences and levels of the skiers. Registration for the lessons is possible at the offices in Cerro Chapelco as well as in San Martín de los Andes.
On the other hand, there is also a ski clinic that covers the expectations of more advanced skiers.
Chapelco Junior Academy: specialized instructors take care of your children and teach them skiing during the whole day. The service includes lessons, transport and meals.
Chapelco Infant Club: offers integral care services for children from 2 months to 5 years of age, in three different sectors:
- Nursery: babies from two to 12 months;
- Snow Day Care: children from 1 to 5 years: the best option for the social and sporting development of children, while parents make the most of their free time.
- Snow Kindergarten: Skiing as a sport and recreational activity has its own characteristic features, which should be taken into account when the time comes to organize the lessons. The plans of the Infants' Club aim at the understanding and acknowledgement of these features as the child is introduced to ski learning. This process is divided into two stages: adaptation to the natural environment in which the child will develop his or her activity, and familiarization with his or her personal equipment (boots, skis, etc) for later use on the snow.
- Equipment Rental: the store for equipment rental is located at the foot of the hill and offers 750 alpine skiing sets, 60 for back-country skiing, mono-skis, snowboards and sledges.
- Repair shop: this service is provided by specialized staff.
- Ski Storing: with capacity for 1000 sets in heated rooms.
- Parking lot: with room for more than 1000 vehicles and 50 buses and most important of all, free of charge.
At any of the following cozy places you may not only enjoy delicious meals and refreshing drinks, but also sunbathe on comfortable balconies, listening to good music and watching skiers as they come down the ski runs.
Restaurant de la Base
Capacity: 240 people, self service, coffee shop, kiosk, telephones.
It is located at 1600 meters, at the so-called "intermediate" platform. At this place the skier may take a break to have lunch or a drink. Capacity: 170 people, self service, coffee shop, kiosk, boutique.
Located at 1750 meters, it is right next to the historical refuge used by Chapelco pioneers. Variable capacity, snack bar, fast food, cakes and puddings, outdoor service.
El Rancho de Manolo
A family restaurant, thus named in honor of one of the pioneers of the hill. Capacity: 70 people, fast food. Access: skiing only.
It is one of the most prestigious restaurants on the hill. Access: skiing or by 4X4 vehicles.
Pradera del Puma
Variable capacity, fast food, cakes and puddings, outdoors service. Access: skiing. It is one of the favorite crossings together with Mt Mocho, because of the panoramic views of Lanín Volcano.
La Casita del Bosque
Capacity: 30 people. Specialty: tea room and fondues.
La Abuela Goye
At the foot of the resort, hot chocolate and cakes.
It is recommended to wear Polartec clothing, waterproof jacket and pants, nylon gloves, snow-glasses and sunglasses with UV-ray protection. Socks preferably made of synthetic fiber.
It is important to apply sunscreen several times a day.
Boots are the most important part of your equipment: they should fit properly, with one pair of socks only.
The bindings should be adjusted by a professional, according to the weight and the level of the skier.
It is highly advisable to take skiing lessons because, as you improve your style, you get less tired and can enjoy the mountain longer. You get to ski more confidently and you can broaden your ski run limits and your snow surface condition.
You may be aware of your weaknesses, but the instructor will help you to correct them gradually, thus helping you to overcome the technical level at which you may be stuck.
WHEN TO VISIT THE RESORT
All year round.
Winter season: from June 14 to October 14.
HOW TO GET TO THE RESORT
Access to the Winter Resort
From San Martín de los Andes (1600 kilometers away from Buenos Aires and about an hour and a half by plane), take National Route Nº 234 (Seven Lakes Route) that skirts Lake Lácar, and after 16 kilometers along a paved road, take Provincial Route Nº 19, to the left. Five kilometers ahead, along a gravel road, you get to the foot of the hill.
San Martín de los Andes is barely 2 hours away from Buenos Aires (1,596 km), 2 ½ hrs from Córdoba (1,553 km), 50 minutes from Neuquén (425 km), 30 minutes from Bariloche (195 km) and 2 hrs 50 min from Rosario (1,650 km).
It takes 5 hrs -via Buenos Aires- to get here from San Pablo and 5 hrs 20 min from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
At San Martín de los Andes airport there are regular flights all year round, and during the ski season, from June to October, special flights and numerous charter flights are added.
ACCOMMODATIONS AT CERRO CHAPELCO
Cell: 02944 15 601209
Cell: ((011) 15-5335-9518
Las Moras (cottages in the mountain)
In Buenos Aires 011-4892-0459
Miradores del Lanin
Tel./Fax: (011) 4390-4433
Telephone: (0223) 480-4331 or 15- 5273882
Tel./Fax: 011-4503-9707 / 4572-6487
Telephone: 011- 4489-0557 (office)
Cell: 011- 15- 4477- 9922
Refugio Villa Mahuida
Base Cerro Chapelco