Known as the "city of water wheels" due to the numerous water wheels ranged along the streams that flow through it, Dolavon is a peaceful and beautiful town of 2,500 inhabitants in the province of Chubut.
In the old times, the purpose of these ancient and romantic mechanical devices was to raise the water of the streams to irrigate higher ground used for crop growing.
Currently, and only for the entertainment of visitors, they are still located in their original positions, and their wheels still turn with the flow of the water.
The town of Dolavon (Welsh toponym meaning "river bend" or "pasture by the river") was founded in 1915 when three landowners in the area decided to split up their holdings.
These were John J. Williams, Nicolás Castro and Leonard Evans, who had settled in this area in 1892, 1902 and 1914, respectively.
What had originally been a wayside stop for wagons, and a hitching post for coast-Cordillera traffic (Esquel and Trevelin), became an important hub of development thanks to a steadily increasing population and the arrival of the railway.
On October 12 1915, the first train trip to Estación del Valle Superior was made (this was the original name of the station until it was changed to Dolavon seven years later).
It has a dry continental climate with a large temperature range between seasons. Winters can be harsh, with temperatures reaching 10 to 12 degrees Celsius below zero, while summer temperatures vary between 25 and 35° Celsius.
From the beginning of spring through summer, the predominant winds are from the west. These are caused by the formation of an anti-cyclone in the South Atlantic. However, during the fall and winter, these winds disappear.
Rainfall is scarce, with an annual average of barely 170 mm.