VISIT TO THE INDUSTRIAL AREA
The museum school is really worth visiting. Here miners are trained for their task. Scale-models and detailed explanations from veteran miners illustrate the exploitation processes. Opening hours vary, so it is advisable to find out at the tourist information center located in the city center before going there.
YCRT SA Mining Industrial Complex
Its origin can be traced back to the year 1942 and until 1994, the property and operation of the complex were in the hands of the National Government, as "Yacimientos Carboníferos Fiscales"(YCF). From that year on, the mining company was given in concession to the public corporation "Yacimientos Carboníferos Rio Turbio S.A." including the mine, the mining museum and school, the sewage treatment plant and a thermoelectric power station.
The Mining Industrial Complex is visited by national and foreign professionals from Chile, Venezuela, the United States, Spain, Germany, France, Poland and South Africa, among others.
The coal mine
Access to the mines is closed to the public for safety reasons. The engineering work done in the mines by YCF is one of the most important of Latin America for its magnitude and technological advances. There are approximately 70 km of tunnels and galleries for the extraction of coal.
VISITING THE OUTSKIRTS
On the way to "Cancha Carreras" by Primavera River, there is an excellent for sport-fishing and camping (forests, river and meadows covered in daisies in summer). Other camping alternative (without services) is "Mina 1", where tourists will find the entrance to the first coal mine (6 km approximately).
These are semi-cylindrical tin booths, which were used as shelter or warehouses. The quoncets and Swedish wooden houses brought from Puerto Natales (Chile) were the first accommodations used by immigrants who arrived in the coal area.
"El Turbio Viejo" House
This wooden house located 30 km east from Rio Turbio, is where the first regional telegraph operated and the first hotel that sheltered ranchers and travelers. It was built in 1920 and caught fire in 1987.
Curt Meyer's Tomb in Rospentek
Curt Meyer was the first settler in the area and the founder of Rospentek. He passed away on March 20, 1911. The ranch was located abound 15 km away from what today is "28 de Noviembre" city. Nowadays it is a military garrison of the Argentine Army, which keeps the name of the old building.
"Santa Bárbara" Chapel
Small wooden church located in Rio Turbio, dedicated on December 4, 1958.
Located in the homonymous square at the entrance of the city of Rio Turbio.
Eight kilometers away from Rio Turbio, this meadow is covered with wild daisies. It is currently used to practice sports such as soccer, volleyball, rugby and as a camping ground with bonfires and guitar players waffling.
San José and Santa Flavia Streams
Surrounded by "lenga" and "ñire" forests, they are very close to the city of Rio Turbio.
"El Rulo" (The Curl)
It is a mountain path that connects the city with some of the highest points in the surroundings.
Located 4 km away from the city of "28 de Noviembre", it is a "lenga" forest with fields of wild flowers.
San José Dam
Located 1 km away from the city of Rio Turbio, it offers the possibility of carrying out various leisure activities.
Cañadón San José
Two kilometers away from the city of Rio Turbio. There are beautiful waterfalls and cascades.
From the vantage points in "Mina 1" and "Mina 4", one gets a magnificent view of the surrounding landscape, including the "Torres del Paine" and the whole urban area.
Distances from Rio Turbio to:
Caleta Olivia 956 km
Com. Piedra Buena 422 km
El Calafate 332 km
Gobernador Gregores 603 km
Los Antiguos 1.225 km
Perito Moreno 1.151 km
Pico Truncado 934 km
Puerto Deseado 1.059 km
Puerto Natales 30 km
Puerto San Julián 617 km
Puerto Santa Cruz 476 km
Punta Arenas 276 km
Porvenir 569 km
Río Gallegos 264 km
Río Grande 629 km
San Julián 541 km
Ushuaia 865 km